THE MEDIA COALITION is an association that defends the First Amendment right to produce and sell books, magazines, recordings, videotapes and videogames; and defends the American public’s First Amendment right to have access to the broadest possible range of opinion and entertainment.
THE MEDIA COALITION was founded in 1973. It represents most of the booksellers, publishers, librarians, periodical distributors, recording and videogame manufacturers, and recording and video retailers in the United States. Its members are:
- American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression
- Association of American Publishers, Inc.
- Comic Book Legal Defense Fund
- Entertainment Merchants Association
- Entertainment Software Association
- Freedom to Read Foundation
- Motion Picture Association of American, Inc.
- Recording Industry Association of American Inc.
THE MEDIA COALITION
* Communicates with federal, state and local government officials in an effort to advise them on proposed legislation affecting material that is protected by the First Amendment;
* Files legal challenges to unconstitutional laws and prepares amicus curiae briefs in cases involving the First Amendment rights of the producers and distributors of constitutionally-protected works;
* Distributes to Media Coalition members regular reports outlining the activities of the Congress, state legislatures and the courts on issues related to the First Amendment.
19 Fulton St
New York, NY 10038